Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Introduction and Al Franken in NYTimes.

Frost-Bite is a long time coming. I've been in Minneapolis for sometime now, and my keen observation skills are best served with a forum to explore them in. Frost-Bite will allow me an opportunity to share what exactly it is I see around me: my frustrations and my appreciation of MN culture. I carry my BlackBerry Pearl everywhere I go, and with it I'm a equipped with a perfect camera phone to chronicle the World around me.

In Frost-Bite you'll find photos taken with Pearl - who has taken on an identity of herself, and at times, I'll probably refer to her as such - and a PowerShot a95. Frost-bite will also include video-blogs and short videos that should candidly capture some highlights. I plan on profiling and featuring some of my current favorite and newly discovered jewels of the Midwest. My writings won't be strictly limited to, but will emphasize Twin Cities culture. I know I spend far too much time in the Cities and not enough time exploring what else is offered out in Minnesota and the Midwest.

Frost-Bite will also include concert and music reviews of local artists and visiting musicians to the Twin Cities. Minnesotans love all aspects of the arts. My biggest joy in the Twin Cities is the fine art scene: newly released independent films or re-released classics, all genres of music performed, and theater. Although I do enjoy visual arts and museums, I'm not very educated in the subject. Basically, I know what I do and don't like.

People are really my thing, so a lot of my commentary will be made regarding interpersonal and larger social interactions. Some will be vents. Please don't take offense to these. Most will be thought out political and sociological commentary on my experience and observations. I may juxtapose article from afar and the many quality local publications.

Now that we know a little more about what to expect, I hope what I enjoy what I have to say, at the very least it will make you think, and what better way to start than my thoughts on the NYTimes article on Al Franken's candidacy for the Norm Coleman's United States Senate seat.

Al Franken's candidacy has been intriguing to me since he first announced last February. Beyond his obvious progressive-bent politics, I just don't know what he stands for, and I'm not sure most Minnesotans do, either and that is why he's spent so much time introducing himself to Minnesota this year. Franken is still viewed as a Minnesotan, more brash than most, but he is still one of their own. I know from experience this means a lot to people here. Just bring up the Coen Brothers, Bob Dylan or F. Scott Fitzgerald and you can't help but be inundated with the résumé of the local hero. Never mind that both Fitzgerald and Dylan hit the road and rarely looked back.

Norm Coleman will never seem to be viewed as a Minnesotan by the masses, but his formally centrist leading Republican politics plays well with the middle of the road state political spectrum. Now that Coleman's politics have become synonymous with George Bush's failed politics he is more than ever vulnerable to more left leaning politicians. If Franken is able to connect with Minnesotans as a true down home Minnesotan and not a Hollywood Big Shot, I think he has a great chance. His brashness is a bit extreme and outside the norms here, but his passion for helping the common man finds a home in the hearts of most everyone I've met in Minnesota. As I said, I'm still not sure what I think about what the details of how he is going to help the common man, but I look forward to learning more in the coming months. I do know I enjoyed Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot. I'm keeping an eye on the other candidates and will be sure to have later entries exploring them.

Welcome!

No comments: