Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Homogenization

bah humbug!


I’ve often joked with people that I’ve met here that I should write a “how-to” book on moving to Minnesota. Sort of a Dummy’s Guide to the Minnesota, it’ll be mostly in jest with kernels of knowledge to be found throughout the book. Yesterday I discovered that the Twin Cities shuts down at 4 PM on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve is not a national holiday. I understand that we all want to get home to see our families on the holidays, but as far as I know, America is not a Christian nation. We are supposed to be a melting pot, where each of us can find our way through being a good person, driven by capitalist ideals.

The forced homogenization of immigrants – the Twin Cities with its large Hmong and east African population – to the American way of life only makes us look like hypocrites. Not everyone in this Christian nation is in fact a Christian. Just because someone moves here doesn’t mean they should be expected to leave his or own creeds in their home nation. What about all of the Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Pagans or Atheists that do not celebrate Christmas with us. Are they, too, expected to celebrate the American commercialized Christmas?

As for those who celebrate Christmas and yet because of life still needed to buy groceries, well, you’re out of luck unless you are willing to do your grocery shopping at Chicago-Lake Liquors, Walgreens and Super America Gas Station. Everything else in the Twin Cities was closed. Google’s 411 text service helped us search out our options.

After over three hours of searching, Rebecca and I purchased Jameson 12 Year, a bottle of Champaign and Spiced Rum from the liquor store; eggnog, two bottle coca cola, whip cream and white bread from Walgreens; frozen sausage, bananas and an energy drink from SA. The bread, whipped cream and bananas are for French toast. The alcohol, eggnog, and coke are, well, mixed drinks. I did discover last night spiced rum and eggnog were invented to be mixed.

We gave up on the idea of cooking dinner last night. We just weren’t prepared for the 4 PM curfew. Luckily Hard Times Café was open, so we eat our Christmas Eve dinner surrounded by others searching for a hot meal, fighting against forced homogeneity.

Rebecca and I have exchanged gifts this morning. Now we’re picking up a friend, making French toast, watching Sweeney Todd and going sledding. It should be an action packed day.

2 comments:

Sharyn Morrow said...

I was super tempted to drop by Hard Times on xmas eve, but after our stint in the suburbs, the kid and I just wanted to crash. Likewise with xmas night at the Triple Rock. I had friends who were there, but the sloppy roads kept me at home.

Also? I was born and raised in MN but I do not have this attitude about family that other natives seem to share. My friends have always been way more family to me than blood relatives (or relatives by marriage) have. But that could be because I have so few relatives to begin with...

Mr. Bispo said...

Not many of us were at Hard Times. It was relatively calm. The presentation of the quesadilla was even fancy.

Triple Rock was busy, but CC Club was packed.

My family has only begun to hold this place for me over the last 3-4 years.

My friends do mean a lot to me, but most of my close friends are in California. I'm really happy Rebecca was here to celebrate with Christmas me.