Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Traffic Meltdown

HWY 94 W
By Bruce Bisping , Star Tribune
I've vented many times about the horrible driving in the Twin Cities. It seems that no one has the ability to merge. Merging used to add an extra 20 minutes to my commute from Uptown into Roseville. But things have gotten "better" in recent months. I've learned tricks to get from point a to point b, with as little traffic as possible.

My commute to my doctor's appointment in St Louis Park took and extra 30 minutes this morning. I couldn't see what was happening on the other side HWY 94. Normally, the drive takes 15 minutes tops. There are times when you can add an extra 20 minutes due to other commuters rubber necking a car broken down on the side of the road.

Rarely is the accident serious. Only once have I seen anything warranting my attention - a Toyota Camery upside down, with smoke billowing from the engine. Usually it's a car with a blown tire. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to sit, waiting and waiting, and for it to turn out to only be a car broken down on the side of the road.

Today, though, it was the commute home on 694 E towards downtown. Unable to merge onto 94 W, I drove to through downtown. Thank goodness the architecture downtown is so amazing or I would have been really annoyed.

No comments: