Saturday, January 19, 2008

Subzero Homelessness

subzero minnesota

It's -10 right now, which is easily the coldest it's been since I moved to Minneapolis, and it got me thinking about homelessness. Where would I be right now if I was homeless in Minneapolis? I assume I'd find a shelter, but there are only so many shelter beds to be had. I could go away from the cities and find a shelter. I know one thing I'd never do is sleep in a dumpster - not in this weather.

I wonder why homeless people even stay in Minnesota. Years ago I remember cities would put people on buses and send them to San Francisco. Last year Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani had a series of suggestions for San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsome to deal with San Francisco's homeless problem.

It's funny to hear a New Yorker try to tell a San Franciscan how to run his city, as if politics in SF is even remotely similar to NYC. The weather here keeps homelessness from being at the levels of either coast, but these arctic temperatures make any level more critical. It's scary to think about any one out there right now, but I'm sure there are thousands.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

there is nothing wrong with sleeping in a dumpster.
i would probably feel at home.

Mr. Bispo said...

when the temp is subzero there is something wrong with it.

kt said...

that is why there are so few homeless people in minneapolis