Sunday, December 16, 2007

No Dance Band. Yes Hard Times Cafe.

Tonight I had every intention in meeting up with Maren and Kos at the Varsity Theater for Dance Band and Mel Gibson and the Pants. Of the two bands, MGP is one of my favorite local bands only trailing Doomtree, but something has to be said for the way Dance Band makes hipsters move.

No one in the Twin Cities moves a dance floor the way Dance Band does. All inhibitions are lost and regardless of the venue, Turf Club, Hexagon or the Triple Rock, dance floors hop in rhythm, everyone knows all of the words and are unafraid to sing them back at frontman Captain Octagon. Each band member dates on an split personality from another planet, with costume to match. It's a site to be seen and experienced.

Unfortunately, thanks to a late night at First Ave. for Doomtree and a long day at work, I fell asleep for a power nap and missed the show. I arrive just in time to catch Maren as she was leaving for the grand reopening of Hard Times Cafe. I was glad to see word got out and Hard Times fans came out in droves. The line was out the door when we arrived at just after 1 AM. It didn't take long for me to break out my camera to capture the moments.

It was obvious just how much everyone missed Hard Times, as it was still standing room only an hour after we arrived. The quesdadilla was just as I remembered it and the salsa was perfect. The delay in being served was to be expected with the number of patrons. It felt like a family reunion. People were hugging. The chatter was deafening at times. Smiles could be seen at any turn and laughs could be heard from across the room.

I'm sure that the crowds won't remain this big for too long. I'm looking forward to quiet nights - I say this in jest, because there's never a completely quiet night at Hard Times - with a chai and vegan muffin in hand as I study for an impending test. Until then, the eclectic crowds alone can keep me entertained late into the night just as they did tonight.
Hard Times Cafe: Always Open and Open to AllHard Times Cafe: Always Open and Open to All
Hard Times Cafe: Always Open and Open to All
Hard Times Cafe: Always Open and Open to AllHard Times Cafe: Always Open and Open to All

No comments: